Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ruby Jewel & Jazz Hat

Remember the Ruby Jewel fleece I said I was working with? Well I added some Jazz (see older post about Jazz, the Shetland fleece) to the mix and came up with a hat.
Jazz on the bobbin and Ruby Jewel on the bobbin
I cast on a wild guess of the number of stitched I'd need (turned out to be 96) and I k1p1 for awhile on size 8's. Then I moved to size 6's and did some stockinett for awhile. That's where Jazz came in and added some oomph. I was going to do some large X's around the hat, but changed my mind and made, twigs? Rain? I'm not sure what those are, but it's a pattern and I'm happy with it. I enjoy going with whatever strikes me when I'm combining colors to make a pattern. I never know what will come out of it when I start, but I usually like it when I'm done. The red color comes out in the sun as highlights from Ruby Jewel.

This Monday Sam, Jen, and I cleaned our fleece. While we were waiting for the soaking cycle to complete, we took a look at my fleece that Jen and I washed on Saturday. It had a lot of hay and seeds in it. Look at the industrious helpers I had to shake those seeds and hay out of the wool! When I got home I laid the fleece out for a little more drying, and Missy got into the action.












10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh cleaning fleece... And I love the picture of Missy in the fleece, she looks like she's sitting on a cloud.

Anonymous said...

Missy looks so proud of herself just sitting on that fleece! I love the hat, it shows off your work nicely.

Anonymous said...

I wanna live in Seattle.

ChickenChum said...

That is one georgous hat!!!
Your such a creative artist!!
Missy sure found herself a soft spot ; )

Anonymous said...

That hat is even more gorgeous in person, Barb. What a lovely job you did on it! Now, get ready for tonight's FLEECERCIZE!!! Lift, shake, lift shake! :-D

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful hat, Miss Thang. Your spinning is so perfect and loverly and you know that I am partial to natural brown and grey for moi.
Nice to see pictures of my buddies there shaking their tail feathers and fleece. I miss you all. Big hugs to Jen, Sam and you Barb.

Kim said...

So much fun!! And now you're tagged for a meme, too! Instructions on my blog.

Sheila E said...

WAAAH!! You don't know how badly I needed to see those pictures!! Just wish that your smiling face was in there too!! I'm with Kerry...you guys are so lucky to have each other!
I am just glad that I get a moment of your time....at Black Sheep ;)
The hat is glorious! Beautiful yarns you made!
And Missy is just tooooo Cute!!!

vanessa said...

missy looks like she is on cloud nine :-)

Melanie said...

Great hat! Missy looks so proud of herself for helping out. Your helpers look like cheerleaders with pom poms.