Saturday, August 5, 2006

Port Orford Pullover Finished!

I put the finishing stitches on the Oat Couture, Port Orford Pullover last night. Today has been pretty warm, so I washed and laid out the sweater to dry today, and it is now done!

This is my first large handspun knitted garmet. I am so pleased with how it turned out. The fiber is Blue Faced Leicester that I bought from Lisa Souza. She dyed it in the colorway called Emerald City. I spun it in a three ply yarn, with no special thought to how the colors were plied together. I spun all 2 pounds of fiber up before I started knitting the swatch. I ended up with a good portion of my last skein left over. I thought I was putting 3/4 length sleeves on it, but after washing and laying flat today, it seems the yarn relaxed a bit and I have pretty much normal length sleeves :-) That's okay, I just didn't want sleeves I had to continuously push back. I tend to end up with extra long sleeves. Maybe I learned the secret to getting them just right.

Here's a couple photos. I don't think you will catch me wearing this for a few months yet, but I couldn't resist putting it on to show you. I'm so happy.


Above - The side view
and over here ---------> How big is my love of the Emerald City colorway??? This big!!

8 comments:

CatonsvilleCats said...

Ooh! Aah! As one denizen of Emerald City to another - isn't it WONDERFUL?
Interesting dolman-ish sleeve effect - I've never seen the pattern, am I seeing this right, or just hallucinating?

jenknits said...

YEAHHH!!!! WOOOHOOOOOO! It looks so totally awesome and the colors I know are more beautiful in real life! You are my idol!

Anonymous said...

That color is great on you! Good job, and congratulations on finishing your big project!

Jessica said...

That's fantastic, Barb. Congratulations.

Joanne said...

Bravo!! It's a work of art. Thanks for sharing it with the ft'ers. :)

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...three ply. Good LORD, woman. That is a lot of spinning. I am always happy to end with ply number two. :o) It turned out beautiful, Barb. Congratulations on a job well done. Caroline was the muse for that colorway, dangling blended roving in my face wondering if I could separate the colors out...hmmm, interesting challenge. It will be different every time and by making it three ply you blend the colors even more. I like it, Barb. The sweater fits you very well so this autumn and winter you will be a cuddly babe. :o)

Sheila E said...

YEAH Barb!! You rock!!
How lovely you are and your incredible sweater looks lovely on you!
First finished sweater....nothing to stop you now.
I hope the judges at the fair realize how impressive this accomplishment is and give you the bull or whatever one wins at such events.
Very Impressive and awe inspiring!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a sweater AND an achievement. Big huzzahs to you. Can't wait to see it in person.