Friday, November 17, 2006

Lists

Here we are on the edge of the weekend. The beginning side, where all this evening and for two whole days I can get the things done that need done and do the things that I want to do. I was listing all the plans and projects I have for the weekend. I got about five things down and it hit me that I was not enjoying this process at all and I deleted that list.

Here is the problem: I am creating check lists at work for tasks that have to be signed, dated, approved, etc. They are important because they are milestones created for showing that all aspects of the job are carried out and processes are followed. I am not naturally the type of person that writes down everything that needs to happen before I do it. My husband is a list maker by nature. If I am going to the store he asks me if I want him to make me a list. After being married to this wonderful man for nearly 23 years (this coming Monday is our 23rd Wedding Anniversary) I know that sometimes I do forget things that he has requested - so I take the list with me. I think I forget things more now than I did 10 years ago. 10 years ago I used to get annoyed that he would always ask if I wanted a list. Now I am thankful, but deep in my heart I am not a list person. As I tell my son, the reason they pay you to do things at work is because it's not something you would normally do without being paid to do it. Is that sad or just practical?

Someday I would like to move to the country have a small flock of sheep and possibly have a wool cleaning business. I would teach beginning spinning to encourage want-to-be spinners to give it a whirl. That's about the extent of my list for what I'd like to be doing. If I truly want to get it done, I'll need to share that with my husband. He could write it all out and have a golden list of the steps needed to reach that goal. He is amazing. It's a good thing I married him! I suppose I'm a dreamer and he's a doer. We work well together. He is my friend, he is the love of my life. I don't need a list - I've got Wayne to help me reach my dreams.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Barb! I'll celebrate with you - our 22nd anniversary is just after yours on 11/24! What a lovely tribute you wrote to your husband!

But didn't you mean you wanted to encourage new spinners to 'give it a whorl' instead?
;->

Anonymous said...

Have a magnificent anniversary!

jenknits said...

Happy, happy anniversary! And what about that birthday? Can't pass that by without a shout out. Hope you had a lovely day!

Sheila E said...

Ah....Happy Anniversary to you both. I think that you are a wonderful team!
You make each other happy and that's so great.
Give each other hugs for me.
Michael and I are right in there too. We will be married 22 years on December 28th.