Monday, April 16, 2007

Possum and the Pot and American Idol

Since Wayne linked this blog to the Dutch Oven list he is on, I thought I'd give a little more information on the newest member of the cabinet.

This is a Mario Batali, 6 qt Italian Essentials Pot. Good thing it's first venture in cooking was Italian meat balls and not the Swedish version! I did notice that the weight of the pot and with as slick as it is with the ceramic finish, the pot could slide right off the pulled out rack of the oven. Our rack tips downwards a bit when it's pulled out. So I've warned the family and we'll have to make a point of taking the pot out of the oven when adding items or checking on progress.

Someone asked if that really is opossum in the socks. The answer is yes. It's not the American possum. These are small, and dare I say cute little creatures that have fluffy tails. They are from New Zealand and it's a pest there, but it does have soft fur that is nice in fibers like yarn.

For the American Idol fans - GO BLAKE LEWIS!!! (who is from Bothell WA!!!) Wayne says I can knit you a pair of socks if you win. What size do you wear and send me your address buddy... we're rooting for you!

3 comments:

ChickenChum said...

There's a dutch oven list? Your makin' me want one of those things, I've been oogling them on Amazon... Do you find you use it alot?

Anonymous said...

Good grief, I can just hear my Kiwi friend say..pisst, as in those possums are nothing but road kill pissts. Driving along anywhere, especially on the south island...splat, splat, squash, splat and flat flat flat...makes nice yarn, though...my merino/possum cap saved my life in Dunedin.

Joanne said...

Barb, thanks for your wonderful comments on my blog! I have to say though, I cannot find U.S. possums quite as cute and cuddly as you describe. They are everywhere in the southern USA,esp. road kill, they fight to win with sharp teeth when confronted by a dog or cat, they do not run away when humans come on the scene, and are especially gross when my dogs kill one!! They are one of my least favorite creatures! I couldn't bring myself to spin or touch a possum of any kind..