Thursday, July 27, 2006

Back from the Beach!

We spent a few days at Grays Harbor State Park camping this week. It was a lot of fun and boy was the weather nice! Stacy I have some yarn for you! But it's not dyed yet.... that will happen shortly. I've got about 6 more ounces of Corridale Cross top to spin for you before that happens. Here's a photo of the three ply yarn that is done so far. It's very soft and I think it will work fine for your knitted baby soakers. It will felt! So you can decide if you want to knit it big and felt it for your baby, or if you want to hand wash it so it won't felt. I'm just tickled to get to spin it for you. Um, right now it may smell a little like camp fire smoke, but I didn't take it with me when we were crabbing, so it won't smell like crab bait :-)

A friend at work asked if I knit all the time. She heard me talking about having my husband drive so I could knit, and was amazed that I knit in the car, and in restaurants, etc. Well we went crabbing at Westport and this photo may answer some of her questions! It's not that I'm a knitaholic, no, it's just that I like to be "doing" something while I wait. Waiting for crabs, well that's pretty much as waiting as it gets. It was a blast! We caught lots of little rock crabs, and dungeness crabs. None were keepers, but that didn't make it less fun to pull up the line or net and see what was there. Now this photo really looks like I was just sitting and my Dad in the background is doing all the work, but my job as a the chair anchor is not to be poo'd. We had gusts of wind blow our chairs right into the harbor and so I was sitting with my feet on the bottom rung of Dad's and my Husband's chairs. A very important job indeed.

Anyway, I got a lot done on my Gathered Garter Shawl by Sandra Hicks (Knit One crochet Too pattern). I'm working it in a special request of St. Valentines colorway that Lisa Souza did for me. I had her add some white spots in it and I've dubbed it "Fire and Ice" since she did it special for me - I can get away calling it what I want :-) I'm getting some Little Devil colorway for the ruffle at the bottom. I think it will look fabulous with the red rose button Sheila Ernst did for me. I put her up to making something called "Midnight Romance" in a button. It's a red rose with a dark blue background and some stars.... I'll show you the whole effect when it's done. Right now I'm working on miles of garter stitch. It's a good thing my friends have told me that a lot of beautiful, practical, going to be worn, knitting has miles of boring knitting in it. This has plenty of that!

Just so you know we had fun besides of the fibery sort - here's a glamour shot of my Mom, my Sister, and my beautiful feet! LOL! We girls - we know how to have fun camping! My Sister's kite is a beauty, so I have to show you that! And we have our dog corral photo, where the dogs spent very little time. They had a fun trip too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...Barrrrrrrrrrrrb. Who else would be knitting right around someone slinging crab bait. Salt of the earth, my dear...salt of the sea. The poncho is mahhhhvelous. Did you miss the heat wave or did that just make your jaunt to the sea a nice one? Welcome home.

ChickenChum said...

What??? whats this other shawl your working on? This Gathered Garter shawl??? How hard is it? can I gander at your pattern??
Glad to hear you guys had a good time. All was well at your place while you were gone. Miss Emma came up to me yesterday and tol dme all about and she let me scratch her brain and showed me where her kitty stars were in Blakes room.

How the heck do you get your pictures in your text? When ever I try to put pitcure in they automaticall go to the top of the page and I can't figure out how to move them!

Barb said...

Hey Lisa, It was so nice and cool at the beach. It stayed overcast most of the time. We got lots of the heat wave before going to the beach, but it was so nice to cool off there for a few days. I figure if I can't wash it, I won't be knitting it :-) Goodness knows I can't go without spilling my coffee or something on myself. My pants had extra pockets in the leg (cargo pants?) and I slipped the ball of yarn in one of those so it wouldn't fall in the drink. It worked great!
Hey Chickenchum oh chum o' mine! Thanks for watching the critters for us and watering plants! Miss Emma didn't hold the usual grudge, so your brain scratching must have helped ease her mind that she'd have someone to look after her properly (someone who knows what a princess kitty cat desires). The Gathered Garter Stitch shawl is very easy, you can pick it up and set it down and not loose your place at all. I'll lend you the pattern when I'm done if you'd like!

jenknits said...

Sounds like a really relaxing trip! You did a wonderful job of chair holding while the men did the wet job of pulling up the crab pots. Looks like a lot of fun!