Sunday, July 9, 2006

Out to Ply

I had to work today, but I got some free time too! My mission was to finish spinning the singles of Lisa Souza's Sky Drama fiber in a 50/50 Merino/Silk blend. I've been spinning it off and on for some time, and today felt like the day to get to the plying. It was a beautiful day so I took my wheel outside and spun for a few hours. I actually got the last of the fiber spun, and I am now in the plying phase.
For those who are not spinners, when you spin wool (or fibers) into yarn you spin a single strand of fiber. Then most of the time (for me) you take two or more of those singles and ply them together into a 2-ply, 3-ply, 4-ply, etc. yarn. I sort of like the 3-ply variety most of the time, but with this Merino/Silk I'm making a 2-ply yarn.

There is a photo of the Level Winder (my newest spinning tool) on my wheel above. The round eye moves back and forth like a fishing reel winder. The wheel is made by Curt Fricke. I paid a little more to have a round orifice where the yarn or single enters to be spun. Both the Level Winder and the Fricke wheel come with a triangle orifice called a delta orifice. I like the round one better, so I upgraded.

Check out the difference between the two bobbins of singles that are on the lazy kate (a holder that keeps them still while you ply). The one that is a plastic bobbin is done without a Level Winder. The wooden one is done with a Level Winder.

Missy helped me outside today. She found a hotdog bun we threw over to the wild birds (moments after it was tossed) and here's a photo of her carrying it about worried about where she is going to stash her prize. I took a photo where she was hiding it, just in case she forgets later.

Today was Uncle Clarence's birthday party and I had to miss it. I'm really sad I couldn't be there. He's a very special Uncle and I really love him a lot. I hope he had a wonderful birthday party. Sounds like it was going to be outside, so I'm sure he had lovely weather and a great turnout for it. He has always loved horses, and so have I. He sure has made some powerful memories of horseback rides and how to tell a great story. He's still tells wonderful stories in his own special way. He is such a big part of the community where he lives and takes time to support the kids in the community by going to many of their games and cheering them on. His kids and grand kids have long since graduated, he goes because he cares about the community and supports the youth programs where kids learn teamwork and leadership. What a great Uncle!

Below is a quick shot of the Diamond Fantasy Shawl I started knitting with a group of friends. The yarn is some of Lisa Souza's called Olive Tones in Sock!. I've got a long ways to go yet, but this is an example of how the beads look with the yarn.




4 comments:

jenknits said...

The beads look great! Don't let Mocha or Bagel know where that hotdug bun is stashed, or it will be gone! And I love the sky drama. The colors are so beautiful. I need to get me one of those Level Winders. Do you think they will be at OFFF?

Sam said...

Barb, the DFS is looking great! My finger is nearly healed, though I decided to work on some socks until the soreness went away. ;-) I want to see the yarn all plied!

Barb said...

Jen, I am sure they will be at OFFF, they were last year. So far I'm really loving my Level Winder. The plying with it is working great! I ordered more beads for some other projects I'm doing last night and they shipped them today! I should have them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip that July is Shipwreck's sales month!

Sam, I took a couple days off from work, so you may get to see it in all it's glory (in a skein) sooner rather than later. I want to run it through the yarn meter to see how many yards I have and plan accordingly when I knit it up. I'm glad you're resting your finger - Yowch! Socks are just the ticket! (I wear a size 11 shoe) :-)

vanessa said...

love the beads!! good luck with the blog :-)