Saturday, July 15, 2006

Day on the Deck


Today was beautiful so I moved outside on the deck with my spinning and beading. I was amazed how much spinning I got finished up. There's some mohair/wool blend who's color is called Silver. It is some fiber I picked up at the Black Sheep Gathering from Bear Dog Yarns, from the Schildt Ranch. There's 12 ounces of it spun up, washed, and dried in a worsted weight yarn (2 ply). The other yarn is some of the blend of fibers I got back from the processor's. I spun it as rustic as I dared - trying for lumpy and fuzzy bits. It's going to be for a rug and/or weaving depending on how much I end up with. It's really fun to spin in this carefree fashion, and the yarn turned out cool looking. I'll need to dye it before I knit it, so I'll probably be letting you know how that goes. Don't worry Stacy, I'm cleaning off my bobbins for your yarn! Promise! I've got a pound of wonderful soft white Corridale Cross that's got your name on it.

Ahhh... the beads. Sheila is amazing! I kept finding my favorite one, until I did the next one which became my favorite. I ended up making 2 dozen of my favorites :-) Here's a picture of my tools and setup.

I'm on sock #2 of some ankle length socks I'm knitting right now. I'm doing the heel, so just about to make that turn and race for the toe. I'm looking forward to wearing these. I needed some dark colored socks - and these are black, dark green, and brown. Very good colors for my work shoes. Sorry no photo of these, but I'm sure you'll see them pretty soon when they are completed.

In the better late than never category, I finally planted the dahlias that Mom gave me! They have been in my garage in the window for a while. They were looking so sad that I hadn't planted them yet, so today they got their wish. I cleaned out the plastic whisky barrel tubs and found that last year's dahlias had been trying to come back in one of the tubs. The darn slugs were eating them down! So I added fertilizer to the soil and got it all worked in. Planted two plants per pot and watered them in well. Tomato cages are in the planters to help keep the dahlias from falling over. The system worked really well last year, but I planted three plants per planter, which was pretty crowded. So today was wonderful, even though I ended up with a pretty decent sunburn, I feel like I got a lot of neat things done. I will sleep well tonight :-)

2 comments:

Sheila E said...

Your new handspun yarns are beautiful! I am going to be listening to what you have to say about the dye process. Again I say, wish I was closer so that I could have a watch.
I really like dahlias. They are such a joy to have in the yard. I would like to have some of the big, big ladies...someday.
I am glad to know that you are enjoying the beads... your set-up looks like the perfect place to do them....The dichro loves the sun!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog admiral!!!
I may need to buy mesome of those lovely Sheila stitch markers!