Saturday, July 22, 2006

Dutch Oven Cooking



We bought our first Dutch Oven for camping last week. We gave it a trial run with Swedish Meat balls and some steak cut french fries. It turned out pretty good. It gives me hope that I can become a good cook with this heavy metal pot. We found some recipes that sound pretty great as well.

I've been making stitch markers lately and I caught one in action the other day. This is one of Sheila Ernst's beads helping me with a shorty sock I'm knitting. I should have this pair of socks done in the next couple days. I can hardly wait to wear them! They feel really nice and thick. I'm knitting them on size zero 12" circulars. I got some new wire for making markers and I think I'll play around with it and see if I can come up with another style of marker. There's sure a lot of interest in beads, and there are lots of supplies and information available right now. It's fun to try a few new techniques to see what happens. I'll get some photos up if I get something done up to show and tell this next week.

I'm still spinning some Corridale Cross for Stacy, one of my Nieces. It's going to be so pretty and soft. I've almost got one bobbin full, and I need two more before I start to ply. I'm going to color it with Koolaid dying. A friend suggested I do a rainbow effect and let some of the colors blend together where they meet so it gives even more color variations. It sounds like a fun project. I have Cherry, Lemon Aid, and Lime flavors. I think there's some grape and blue raspberry too. Hopefully I've got some orange around too. It's amazing what colors you can find in your local supermarket! I am sure there are lots of great instructions for doing this on the internet already, so I won't give the directions here unless you need/want me to. However, I'm getting ahead of myself! First I want to spin the wool into yarn, and then dye it. Many times I dye the wool and then spin it, but this time I'm going the opposite route. Just to shake things up!

Tune in next week for "Adventures in Dying!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rainbow yarn sounds wonderful! I can't wait to see it. I have a wonderful little dutch oven that I've never used as a real dutch oven. We just used it over a capfire. I'm a little bit charcoal ignorant. I have no idea even how to use a grill. There are a lot of recipes online and instructions for using them. I've always wanted to bake bread in mine while camping. Sadly, we haven't gone camping at all in the last 2 years. Maybe later this summer, or this fall. If JR has 2 days in a row off! I'll have to evict all the spiders that are taking up house in the kettle.

Anonymous said...

Barb, your stitch markers are so pretty! I bought some of Sheila's beads at Eugene but lost them somewhere between there and here, darn it. I haven't forgotten about my promise to post on the DFS. I misplaced the cd with my photos and just found it today - coming soon!

jenknits said...

Yum - the food, the stitch markers, the sock. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Barb, those markers looks beautiful - just like a little jewel box! You and Sheila are a good team there. But now you've gone and made me hungry - yum, on the dutch oven cooking. It looks like you were having a blast! :-) -Sam