Saturday, October 21, 2006

Catching Up

I went around with the camera today and shot some things that I thought you might enjoy seeing. First of all, we need to show that Missy does not just lay in my bed all day! Here she is on guard duty, waiting for Wayne to come home.

Remember the Daliahs I planted so late in the year? Well they are blooming and happy, but won't be much longer with the frost coming. I thought I'd better show you them before the frost gets them. I'll dig them up and save the bulbs for next year after the first frost.

I put my birdwing begonia outside under the table on the deck this summer. It sure likes it outside! I need to bring it in before it gets too cold for it. I always feel bad for it when it starts dropping leaves and looking sad inside out house.

Here's a shot of another spinner at my home. This little fellow lives in the Daliahs. He'll be as big as a large grape in another month.

On the left side and upper right of this basket is Jazz's fleece so you can see how the two coats look when separated. There are some silver guard hairs I'm finding, so my guard hair pile will take up some black and silver together when I'm done. There is hardly any black under coat, so my softer pile will pretty much be silver only.

Emma was following me around, rubbing against my legs. She is pretending she's really interested in the grass, but she's actually waiting for me to open the sliding door so she can slip into the house. She's pretty good at her deception, but I know her motives.

These little birds were happy to see Emma go into the house! They were coming into the feeder before I was even done filling it today. We get lots of different birds from Stellar Jays to chickadees. They are a lot of fun to watch.

Last, Wayne and I love these red bushes that are in the business park near us. We don't know what they are called, but they have green leaves most of the time, they turn this beautiful red color in the fall, and they have little red berries on the bushes. If you know what they are, drop me a line. We'd like to get some of these.

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Those dahlias are picture perfect!

Anonymous said...

Barb, the shrub looks like Winged Euonymus - commonly known as Burning Bush. Easy to find at PNW nurseries.
Nice dahlias!

Barb said...

Thank you Vicki and Denise!
Denise, I looked up the Winged Eonymus - you are right that's it! I found more about it at http://www.paflora.org/Euonymus%20alatus.pdf and it sounds like it can be a pest. We may have to reconsider getting some :-)
Thanks so much!

CatonsvilleCats said...

When I was a kid we had one of these and called it the Burning Bush. I see someone else has already said that...

Sheila E said...

Beautiful!! I love Fall!! It's such an amazing season!! Thanks for the picutures of what it looks like in Washington. I love it each day, the sun light is incredible through the colors!
Missy is so vigilant!! Emma is so pretty!! Love pats to all ;)

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I didn't realize burning bush was invasive in natural areas. I've only seen it here in town where it is well-behaved. I wonder if sterile varieties are available at any nurseries? That might solve the problem.