Saturday, October 14, 2006

Pines Farm Spin-In

A sheep farm in the area had a fall festival, wool sale, spin in today. It was wonderful! Sam and Jen were there and none of us remembered our cameras. It was a foggy day, and we spent most of the time spinning outside. Fortunately, a small camp fire was built and that allowed us to stay at it longer than if we didn't have a fire. It was pretty cold out there today!

I took a class on kettle dying, or casserole dying. I got to make this caramel and brick color on light gray Romney fiber. Okay the gray bits are some alpaca I threw in the pot as well, and it didn't take the dye. Lesson to be learned, the alpaca needed something different than what I offered the Romney wool and mohair for dying purposes. Anyway, I'll pull the alpaca out when its dry, or leave it in, we shall see. There's about a pound and a half of fiber dyed before I added the alpaca.

I worked on 8 oz of colored top that I bought at village Tea and Yarn last Thursday. It's got a bit of firestar in it, which I have never spun before. It was a lot of fun to see the sparkle mixing in with the wool. I spun 4 oz at the spin in, and the other 4 at home. 175 wraps on the nitty noddy tell me I have about 300 yards of yarn to knit up into something special. Here's the lovely Missy flaunting the spun yarn. She's getting more relaxed in her role as top fiber model here on Wings and Strings :-)
I'll have to see about getting her an extra treat.

4 comments:

vanessa said...

missy needs to be on the next top model show!

Sheila E said...

Good lord girl...you are really making indcredibly beautiful yarns.
I think the dyeing is yummy and I'd leave the alpaca in, it adds a certain something...at least from the picture.
And then, there's sweet Missy. She is getting into it now!! What a cute girl she is. Give her pats from me!

Sam said...

Wahoo on the yarn, Barb - can't wait to see how it looks with the button. I want to see that fiber in person, too. I was sorry to have to leave before it was all finished!

jenknits said...

I did take some pics on my cell phone, they aren't too awful. Or maybe they are, and that's why you didn't post them! LOL. Smooches to Missy, the gorgeous fiber model.