Sunday, January 28, 2007

Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat

This weekend was the Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat, in Tacoma WA. What could be better than going with my good friends Jen and Sam to the retreat on Friday and again on Sunday? (Well besides maybe going again on Saturday - but we had to do some stuff at home this weekend.) What a wonderful time we had seeing friends from on line, and from our fiber network in the Pacific Northwest. Here's a photo of some of the dinner group. That's our group clear down to the window and um, yes, the Christmas Tree.

I learn so much from hanging with these friends. Not only seeing knitted items to check out how they look in real life (as compared to seeing a photo), and being able to ask the person who knit the garment any questions, but by listening and hearing how others have tried various ways of doing projects. We all bounce ideas off of one another and share the love of fiber arts. Sam showed me Magic Loop knitting Friday night, and with my good friend Sheila's circular needles, the rest is history. I love it. Not only that, I got to talk parrots with Kerry! Not everyone understands parrot people. It's great to find someone else who is owned by a Quaker Parakeet.

The vendors out did themselves with wonderful rich colors and soft dreamy combinations of fibers that were irresistible. The Ernst Glass booth was awesome. I walked up and this deep red flower button jumped right out at me. The Chili Pepper glass needles were destine to come home with me as well. I bought a couple of skeins of Blue Moon, Socks and Rock lightweight yarn. I started knitting with it Friday night and you will see how my progress has come along as of 4:00 Sunday night in the photo below. Some of my other finds were Blue Moon Merino Tencel roving in the Rooster Rock colorway, Crown Mountain superwash sock fiber in "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Say a Little Prayer" colorways.

My power cord on the laptop is funky and needs replaced. I was able to get it to work tonight by turning the cord to the left or right until the computer came on. Let's hope that new cord I ordered comes in tomorrow!

Ya, you do want a closer look at that glass - I knew that you did! Double click on the photo if you want to blow it up.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, thanks so much for heading down with me. I had a wonderful time with you and Jen and Co., and I hope to do it again next year! What eye candy. I wish everyone could see it it person. :-) Sam

Anonymous said...

I am so, so, so very glad we got to meet this weekend! I might move to Seattle.

Kim said...

I wish I'd had more time to visit with you, but my class was starting!! You picked up some gooooooood stuff, there, Sister! The Ernst booth WAS fabulous. My instructor couldn't stop talking about it. The colors you picked out for all your fibers are so exciting. Do you know what you'll do with them?

CatonsvilleCats said...

Yummy! Makes me with MS&W was closer than it is! That red button is just gorgeous.

vanessa said...

barb, it was great to see you again! i only wish we had more time together :-)

Angela said...

It was lovely to see you (but too brief!)

Teyani said...

it was great to see you too - have fun spinning up all your goodies!

jackie_knits said...

Hi Barb - love the photo of all your goodies - you did good! I was privileged to hang out with Sheila at Stitches East so I can appreciate the sisterhood youall shared. The 'Hi Mom' msg from the gang was really cool. Keep spinning and knitting until the next fiber fest.
PS - I found bubble tea here on the east coast!